Challenge yourself: Learn to Dance Tango in 3 Months!
Coming soon again/ LIMITED SPACES (March 2019)
Available in: Los Angeles and Minneapolis
[otw_shortcode_button href=”https://app.moonclerk.com/pay/5df0anei5jy” size=”medium” icon_position=”right” shape=”radius”]SIGN UP NOW![/otw_shortcode_button]
We are at full capacity for the March Challenge! SORRY – next time better luck?
Want to stay updated? Please “like” us on facebook right here
Together with 9 team mates in a cohort, you shall conquer the Argentine Tango. Much unlike your traditional approach to learning how to dance the Tango, this course will include in depth studies about music, history and style.
A steady cohort of beginner tango students, will meet at a regular basis over 3 months time and guided by our Tango & I creative tango facilitators. To commit your time to your team, where active participation is required! You’ll come out on the other end with a smile and a new skill!
Set in a safe environment where we do not conform to heteronormative roles. You will experience both leading and following for a bit, to enhance your empathetic ability AND increase your learning speed!
What will you get? Let’s break it down!
- A commitment to a clear goal.
- A kind and kind of strict, mentor to keep you on track, some tough love required!
- Individualized one-on-one instruction from world class teachers!
- A loving environment where the emphasis is on learning to follow and lead.
- A systematic, proven curriculum with over 210 happy graduates.
- A safe learning environment with supportive team members who are in it for the long haul.
- Set practice times with a tango buddy
- A gentle segue in to the tango community by going out to dance with your whole team and coaches!
- A celebration, with champagne, in your honor at a Tango dance in Minneapolis: your end goal – a group dance recital after 3 months.
What will you be asked to do?
- Make a commitment promise
- Attend challenge meetings every Thursday evening (1.5 hour each)
- Attend at least 4 other group classes per month (1 hour each)
- Attend 4 assigned practicas with your cohort per month (2 hours each)
- Complete independent study projects on time
- Work with a tango mentor for 15 minutes every other week, (during the practica hours)
- Work in a triad with 2 of your team members every week at the practica
- Be ready to celebrate at the end of the 3 months with your cohort !
Materials and Tuition
- Tuition for the challenge meetings are flexible payment, starting $ 120 per month, up to $180 a month – with a one time $120 commitment payment!
- You will need to purchase 12 classes at Tango & I (10 for $120 or $15 per class)
- You will need to purchase 12 practica entrances at Tango & I ($10 for $72 or $8 each)
- Required course materials, books and printed material, music, up to $ 55 (depending on where you purchase the books)
- You need to be able to video tape yourself (for personal use only)
- ~~~ Group classes and Practica at the Flying Pig Studio, team meetings at Tango & I studio~~~
How will you achieve your goal?
Your independent studies:
- Keep a tango journal.
- Set a personal challenge, which you will bring to the second challenge meeting.
- Attend 4 beginner, OR all level tango group classes, OR one technique class per month at Tango & I to work on your personal challenge. (you can choose Wednesday evenings, Saturday mornings)
- Listening to ( up to) 12 different tango songs.
- Read 2 emails a week, which will contain lovely tango info
- Meet every Thursday evening from 7.00 till 8.30 for the Challenge meeting at Tango & I Studio ( only 6 blocks from the Flying Pig) for your Tango discussion and dance instruction in a semi-private group lesson (your cohort)
- Meet at 11 practicas, 11 till 1 at the Flying Pig (we can adjust some dates, according to team needs) During practica hours you will have productive practice time your team members and with assigned tango buddies. Plus you will work in triads as well. The material will be given to you during Challenge meetings and emails.
- Plus at these practicas you will receive your bi-weekly 15 minutes mini lesson: 1-on-1 time with your dedicated tango facilitator so you can count on getting a chance to “feel” how it should feel and get direct, personal input on how to improve!
Rules are in place for this challenge, no exceptions please!
This is a team learning experience in which everyone’s active participation is required. After we set our agenda’s ( like James Bond will set his watch with his ally). We will know when you have already booked a vacation or anything else. After those dates are canceled out you:
Tango & I can suspend any participant from the challenge when:
- You miss two cohort meetings
- You miss one or two cohort practicas
- You miss 2 classes in a row
(unless you have a true emergency, these rules will apply to every challenge participant)
In the situation of suspension, participants will no longer have access to any aspect of the course (15-minute privates, team meetings, projects, online journal and forum, or graduation recital.) They may continue to take group classes and attend practicas. Your Tuition is non-refundable. No exceptions, please
And last but not least:
We need 8 participants in the challenge for the program to start. We will do our best to have 4 leaders and 4 followers. For obvious reasons, it would be great if you can find a friend to take the challenge with you. We will, for learning purposes, switch partners and roles often. These roles are non gender based.
Start date March 2 – end date May 25
Deadline for sign up February 26
Remember: like any commitment, there are rules governing it. They include:
- Everyone’s active participation is required to successfully complete your own challenges.
- Tango & I can suspend any participant from the challenge when:
- You miss two team meetings
- You miss one or two team practicas
- You miss 2 classes in a row
- Unless you have a verifiable emergency, these rules will apply to every challenge participant. If this wasn’t so, then it wouldn’t be much of a challenge, would it?
- There are no refunds for suspensions made as a direct consequence of breaking these stipulations.
Tango Challenge frequently asked questions.
How much time does it take?
It takes 5-8 hours per week, including independent work. You’ll need to be available minimally Thursday evenings plus at least one other group class time, and the practica on Saturday mornings.
Do I need a partner?
You will meet many partners in your team and at the school. You do not need a partner to sign up. It will enhance your fun though, when sign up with a friend or two!
Is this a gender based dance? i.e. men lead and women follow?
No, absolutely not, we refer to our roles as leader and follower and you can choose what ever role suits you best, or choose to learn both roles
Who will be my partner?
You will be dancing with everybody in your cohort, and with everybody in your classes. One of the things you’ll be learning is how to invite someone to be your Tango partner. We’ll walk you through the process step by step. Oh, and in week #3 you will be assigned a tango buddy, a person that has been dancing tango for a while, with whom you will practice and can ask questions to!
Can I sign up with a friend?
Yes, sure! Please note, though, that part of learning Tango is becoming integrated with the larger community. Both of you should be ready to switch partners and roles in most classes and practicas, because this accelerates your learning. And, you will each invite someone different, from outside the team, to partner you for your final recital.
How will I be receive my homework assignments? and other updates?
We will set up a Facebook page that is only accessible for the your team members and the mentors. Here you can discuss tango related topics with each other and check in for the latest updates plus pictures!
Plus you will receive 2 emails per week from the Tango Challenge!
What if I have to miss part of it?
You must make up what you miss. Please call the Program Director to find out if your conflict is one we can work around. 612-501-7956
Which classes can I take?
If you’re new to Tango, you can take any Beginner class your tango facilitator (the teacher you take your weekly private with) will let you know when you are ready to join the all level. When you have taken all 8 weeks of beginner classes you can add the technique class OR an all level class. Please Note: Even if you have extensive partner dance experience, you may still need to develop more skills before entering our higher level classes.
When can I start dancing at milongas?
As soon as you feel like it! The Challenge has some built-in milonga field trips.
Why should I do the Challenge, instead of drop-in classes?
In the Challenge you’ll find a unique experience: a structured curriculum, with clear goals and milestones; individualized guidance and support; access to important, nuanced material that’s impossible to cover in group classes; purposeful integration with the community of more experienced dancers; and a beautiful, festive culmination, celebrating YOU and your achievements!
Can I talk to someone who’s done it?
Of course! Once again, please contact us 612 501 7956.
How should I prepare?
Get some real Tango shoes you’re in love with. They should be beautiful ( : and comfortable. Either leather or suede soles are fine. Everyone’s feet have different needs, so be sure to get the support and consider arch support. Firm, low-heeled (2-inches or less), closed-toed or peep-toed shoes for ladies are ideal. We have somebody on staff that sells tango shoes, but there are other options in the Twin Cities as well!